View Single Post
Old 09-21-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopernicus View Post
I had the chance to ride this bike extensively this past Saturday and have concluded that I would not bother to make the 4T AF conversion to a 2T motor. The bike had a slightly less top heavy feeling than me 2014 300 Racing E but the width from the pegs to the seat made it more cumbersome. The main drawback compared to a standard KX 250 2T and a GG 300 is the lack of steering precision. It feels a little vague in the turns and does not give the best feedback to the rider as to how far you can "push" the traction on the front tire (which, although new, is a CST brand tire...ewww!). Frankly, this did not surprise me too much given past test reports of the 07 KX250F and the less weight of the KX 2T motor. As for the suspension, this bike has a Race Tech components installed and the suspension is good. However, it is not as good as the bone stock Marzocchi/Reiger combo on my GG. What did I like about the bike besides the 299cc KX motor? The feel of the aluminum frame was far better than anticipated. It was not overly stiff and it did not feel harsh at all. It also had an excellent turning radius compared to my GG (big surprise). I must add, if anyone has a KX 250 that they want to keep, making it a 300 made the motor very nice. I've ridden extensively a big bore YZ and the KX big bore motor is much better for trail and race speeds. The big bore was done by Kustom Kraft but can be done by most other places (Powerseal did the YZ conversion). I don't know if I will keep this bike but I will test it some more after I make some mods to get more "bite" in the front end and I will replace the front tire, too. Feel free to ask my any questions if you are interested in an AF conversion!

Eric
Great looking conversion Eric! Ditch the front tire and maybe lower the front spring rate and report back ...
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters