Thread: APT SmartCarb
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2016, 05:05 PM

Installed my new 38mm cast last wknd. It's a bit early to give a full review as I've only had a couple short runs on it around the block. It does seem promising though, based on my initial tiny bit of playing around.
The first ride I fiddled with it enough to get the bike running and went for a quick spin, but it wasn't anywhere close to where it needs to be. No big deal as Corey recommends putting at least 4 hrs on it before fine tuning.
Today I played with it a bit more. It was a bit hard to start. It took about 6-7 kicks with the choke and it was only 2 celsius out. It seemed lean, so i richened it up about 7-8 clicks and that made a huge difference.
When I start it once warm, it fires about 1/2 way thru the first kick and settles into a nice idle, which is better than it's ever been. On the short ride I took, it pulled quite nice thru the gears.
Looking forward to spending lots of time on this bike this year and see what this carb can do.

There have been quite a few revisions made on these since they came out, especially the billet as well as 1 or 2 revisions with the cast versions, from what I understand. Mine is one of the later versions, as it was made last fall

I was quite impressed with the unit when I took it out of the box. Very clever design and incredible simplicity. There is really only a few moving parts and only 2 main adjustments. It appears once it's setup, the owner shouldn't need to mess with it anymore after that.
Love the fact that there aren't any hoses and other exterior junk.