View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 02:04 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc111 View Post
Hello All,
Old time enduro rider giving trials a go. I have a 2006 GasGas Txt 250 Pro (the blue one). Just a query about what you guys are using for engine oil and 2-stroke, and what mix to use?
Seen many different views on what mix to use. The people we got the bike from said 70:1, is that correct?

ANy advice is much appriciated.
I think the manual says something like 66:1 and that is what i use in my 03 txt (more or less). I had a montessa in 2011 that used to mix at 80:1 and the guy i ride with at the trials events mixes 50:1 (so he can use the leftover in his lawnmower)
Suppose it just depends how you are jetted (so 70:1 should be fine) and if your sections have long liasons in between you may want to jet it with a bit more oil if you think you will be wringing its neck for ages (you probably wont!)

in terms of oil i mix motul 710 as it has a lower flash point than the 800 and i found it burnt better (IMO) than the 800 when riding the tech stuff on my EC300 so stuck with it and so far t seems fine

in the gearbox i have run 10w40 and also ran atf dexron III. The 10w40 was not great (clutch drag) then the dexron III made gear changes a bit notchy so back to 10w40 and i think the dexron cleaned everything up because it was much better (bike had been standing for a few years when i got it) so may do a few 10w40 changes and throw in the dexIII every now and again

One thing i love about riding trials is that it is much less painful on the pocket. maintenance is much lower, hardly use any fuel and tyres once a year max (my bike came with 17yr old tyres and was ok!). It is a really fun sport and a lot more social than enduro. Join a club and enter events to up your skill (there are not many riders at the level of toni bau! lowest category you would be able to do on an EC300)