View Single Post
Old 03-25-2017, 10:09 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3beejay3 View Post
Not sure how long of a range you want, but current gassers can get pretty good range with the right carb setup.

With the stock carb and stock jetting(read - waaaay too rich), I could go over 100km on the 10+ liter tank on my 2012 xc 250.

Now that I have an APT smart carb, the range is much longer, probably 120-130km, or longer if it's mostly 2 track and back roads. A bit less if it's all single track.
Not sure where you're riding, but no place in Southern ON, or NE US needs a range longer than that, especially if it's all single track- as you'll be out of gas when the bike is.
The Dacre Rally in Ontario requires a minimum 150km range and a total of 800km's in one day. (Yes it is insane, but a fun insane)
I very often ride days of 200+km's usually with only one fuel stop. A few times a year I will get in 300+km days. I get a comfortable 100km's from my '12 300 which doesn't seem to be running very rich. (just did a top end and it all seemed ok. A little extra goop in the PV but nothing concerning) I'm sick of carrying extra fuel on my back or on the back of the bike.

I currently have:
N1EF in #1 clip
160 Main
40 Pilot
Air Screw 2.5 turns out.

I would like to try a 175 main and a NEDJ or NEDW Needle. (If anyone has any other suggestions feel free to chime in!)

A friend of mine who makes plastic moulds has offered to digitize my tank and frame and create a oversize tank for me that will work with a perimeter frame. I may consider going this route as well. We would create a tank with wings that come over the frame. Then connect the bottom of the wings to the main tank body with a small hose that gets connected after installation. It will probably be next winter before we get a chance to do this if at all.