View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 06:34 PM

+1 on the therapy. I detached my ACL riding about 7yrs ago, also damaged/tore the meniscus. After I could get around OK (about 1 month, the first 2wks on crutches) on advice from my surgeon I spent the following 2 months in Phys therapy building my quads up before having the reconstruction. Used a donor ligament from my own hamstring for the rebuild and they cleaned up the meniscus at that time also. Recovery was about 10wks before I was 100% to be back to work but was about 6 months before I was riding again. I used the DonJoy brace for the first year but finally got tired of it and ride without now. If I still raced I think I would invest in a good set of knee braces made specifically for riding but there's pro's and con's to using them. Many think they can transmit force and possibly break your femur in a bad accident.

My surgeon also said the ACL replacement wasn't necessary but if you lead any kind of active life it will suck (like Phoenix said). And the low blood flow/supply to the ligaments and meniscus in the knee make healing slow. Over age 40 doesn't help either. If you smoke, stop smoking now to improve blood/oxygen flow for improved chance of 100% recovery.

Google "bobs acl board" a forum with tons of info (if it's still around).

Good luck with the rehab.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)