View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 12:54 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Instead of starting a new thread on the same topic, I add my comments here:

Yesterday, I rode my '06 EC200 for the first time with the KYB fork.
I haven't really completed it yet, but I just had to test it :-)
There is a race this Saturday, so I had to start breaking it in.

The fork legs are unused, off a 2008 YZ250F. The triple clamps are secondhand off a 2010 YZ250F. Hence, all my settings are stock Yamaha.

I use my GG front wheel with the Yamaha axle and custom made spacers (using the OE 25mm id bearings). The brakes are the Nissin/GG caliper on Yamaha bracket with a 250mm custom made rotor for the GG hub. I ended up with the wheel pretty close to being centered between the fork legs. For a front fender, I just drilled some new front holes in a yellow GG fender I had laying around. The rear fender holes line up nicely with the Yamaha triple clamp.
I have not gotten around to making a steering stop yet.

The only trouble I have found is the mounting of the Scotts damper. I used to have it below the handlebars on the OE triple clamps, using my own 10mm alu plate between the upper triple clamp and the handlebar clamps.
However, when using the Yamaha triple clamps, I would have to raise the handlebar close to 20mm more to get the damper under the bars.
Does anyone else use the Scotts damper with the KYB forks? If so, what type of mount do you use?
Of course, I can make (or even buy) parts to mount it above the bars, but I'd rather have it below to avoid the high tower.

As for the riding experience, the first mpression is that this fork rides quite a bit higher than the OE 45mm Shivers, and that it feels somewhat firmer.
I kind of expected this, but the spring rates are almost the same, at .44 in the KYB (according to the Racetech site) and 0.45 in the Shivers.

I think I feel safer at speed with this fork, I could perhaps use the worn out phrase that it "increases rider confidence".

I presume I will reduce the oil level to 300cc quite soon go get it a tad plusher, but first I have to break it in properly.
I'm off to a MX practice tomorrow, so I guess I will get a good impression of it under MX conditions then.

I mounted the legs flush with the upper triple clamps, perhaps I should drop the triples a few mm?

As for the valving, I cannot really say yet. It's not bad, but I would like it a bit plusher. We'll just have to wait until its properly broken in, and I get some more hours on it.

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc