Thread: 2003 fse 450
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 12:22 PM

Default 2003 fse 450

Hello everyone.

I had an unpleasant experience this weekend and am hoping one of you could help enlighten me.

I tried starting the bike (for the first time in ~5 months). Had a brand new battery, but had the older 5 monthish old gas in it. Started right up... Quickly and without problem. Bike idled just fine for the ~30 seconds it took me to strap up my helmet and goggles. I hopped on and pulled off easily, and smoothly (though without really getting "on it" yet). About half a mile down the road I rolled in a little more throttle (but was still in a higher gear and at a rather low speed). The bike pulled for a bit... I shifted... Bike pulled a bit... I went to shift and the bike died (like it had run out of gas).

I hit the starter a for about a second (2 or 3 times) and it fired back up. I let the clutch out, gave it gas, and continued riding... For about 3 more seconds. Tried the same trick and it didn't work.

Luckily, I was basically at the top of a slight hill at this point so, with the momentum I had left, I turned around and began drifting back down the hill. I tried hitting the starter for a couple seconds at a time. Tried it a few times... Drifted for 30 seconds tried it a couple more times... Drifted another 30 seconds... Tried it once more... Nothing.

I hopped off, to begin pushing, as the road began its gradual assent. After pushing the last couple hundred feet I was back at my house (and disheartened). It sure seemed like a fuel issue (with it running when going easy... Then cutting out as I rolled on more gas... Stalling... Starting... Stalling after a few seconds... Then nothing).

So I took off my tank, disconnected my injector, rigged the pair back up (on a bucket), and tested the fuel pump, and the injectors spray. Pump sounds strong and primes. As for the injectors spray pattern... It's not what I think of (having seen automobile injectors spray pattern). The injectors I have seen produce an incredibly fine, high pressure mist. This injectors pattern looked a *little* rougher and weaker. It was mistish, and pressurized, but it wasn't as high pressured or as fine as I would think it would be. Looked more like a bottle of Windex being sprayed.

Should a clean, properly functioning injector look like a Windex blast, or more like a super fine, high pressure mist?

I'd appreciate any help you guys could give!!

Thanks in advance,
Brian