View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 12:26 AM

Default 2011 Sachs Forks - Tuner Info

I'm doing a little maintenance on the 48mm Sachs forks on my 2011 XC250 ... turns out the cobbler's children do get shoes after all ... and I noticed some interesting changes from 2010.

The rebound stack is much softer overall, with 0.15 shims on the 2010 being replaced with 0.10 shims on the 2011. The mid-valve stack also changes from 3 25.0x0.2 shims to just two. Float increases, stack stiffness decreases ...

On the base valve side of things life gets really interesting. The tap itself is the same from 2010 to 2011, but the valving strategy is very different. The bleed holes are dropped from the compression piston and there is a significant straight stack before the cross-over in contrast to the 2010 parts. More surprising though is that the tap, piston, and stack in the 2011 bike are significantly DIFFERENT from a replacement set I ordered early this year. Perhaps GasGas could think about incrementing part numbers

What's this all mean? - pick a tuner that can deal with what he finds when he opens up the fork legs ... chances are its different than what he may have expected to see, and a cookie-cutter approach will be ineffective.
Steven Beane #275
PlusOnePerformance - Superior Service the World Over - Dearborn MI
AMA District 14 (Michigan) Officer

afterhourscycle.com
Michigan's Beta and TM Race Headquarters