Thread: heat cycling
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS109 View Post
Not trying to be combative at all so sorry Doc. However, I do disagree. Your original question asked...

What I and gasgasman replied was relevant to the discussion. I explained how I understood heat cycling after my 30+ years of building car and motorcycle engines and to what extent I do heat cycle and he agreed and said why. Of course, heat cycling an engine surely won't hurt anything!

Also, it is here as reference for future members who search about heat cycling. The discussion can be useful showing all points including those that say it is completely unnecessary. Remember, keep an open mind! <cough>ATF<cough>
If you took my answer down the wrong pipe, sorry. Wasn't my intention to annoy you.
Maybe it makes you happy that I work on engines since 40+ years, started at the age of 15 and spent a lot of time with somebody working as tribology expert in the oil and automotive industry. Unfortunately my English isn't good enough to explain some scientific aspects, especially molecular structures and how they change in a heat, cool, heat cycle versus the materials they inevitably touch or get in contact with. Especially in two stroke engines with their rather old-fashioned pistons.

I accept all opinions and if you say it's completely unnecessary that is perfectly fine for me.