View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 04:14 AM

I still can't get this plug chop thing happening.

Kept the blue needle in today and done a few WOT runs.

Found a decent steep hill (on tar) and from 1/8 throttle snapped the throttle open WOT in 4th gear, probably for 200m or so then shut it down.

First run was using a 170 main. During the run I could feel it load up off the bottom and then clear itself through the mid and rev cleanly into the top end. The electrode end of the ceramic was a grey colour which means lean right

Threw a 180 in it just to see. The bike loaded up more and was more obvious/slower to clear up/transition into the top. What is weird is that the ceramic was the same colour?!

Stepped down through the mains 180, 178, 175, 172, 170, 168, 165 each time looking at the ceramic but mainly trying to feel any change in power.

The 168 and 165 plug chops were slightly better coloured, still grey ish but maybe a hint of caramel in there?

I think the 168 main was the best, it unloaded and revved quicker, the 165 seemed to rev as quick but may have lacked power compared to the 168. Would have liked to have tried a 162 but 165 is the smallest I have.

Then the cops turned up (nearest house was several hundred meters away) because someone had complained, they couldn't do anything I'm registered, licenced and wasn't breaking the speed limit, but they were pretty good about it and asked that I go elsewhere even further from houses so they wouldn't constantly be getting complaints. I was done so went home.

Also, noticed the bike wasn't idling at all with a 38 pilot, even after winding the idle screw 3 turns in. Put a 35 pilot in and returned the idle screw to normal and it idles again. Air screw is roughy 1.5 turns, but I'll have to play with that another day. Also haven't ridden the bike real world yet to see what the power is like now I've made all these changes.

Does this current jetting (168 main, 35 pilot JD Blue #2) sound too lean? (36mm oval bored carb)

Really can't figure this jetting out