View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator

Nup... You're going about it all wrong and stabbing in the dark.

42 N3CJ#3 178

Set the float level as well. They are renound for being too high from the factory. See Ando's thread for pics.

Tune the idle circuit until the bike will idle on its own, and starts easily. As Ando said, its not ununsual at all for a 2T to like a bit of throttle when starting (when up to temp). Cold start I just use the choke and it fires. The 42 pilot and the J diameter will get you very close. Set the air screw at 1.5 turns from fully closed. Set the idle screw at a setting it will idle, and then back it down to a point where it will sustain an idle on its own. Fine tune the AS until you get best idle. DONE! (Make sure the bike is up to running temp before you set this)

Then.. Work on clip position! Ride the bike between 1/4 throttle and 3/4 throttle. Mark the throttle out with a texta/nico so you know where you're holding it. If the bike starts to burble up and doesn't want to rev clean then you're rich. Move the clip up 1 position. Ride again. You'll find the clip position that feels the most responsive and best power. If you go to far you'll start to get flat mushy power (like when the bike isn't warmed up), hesitation when opening the throttle, pinging, excess heat, and a white spark plug. The signs are there for you to read. DONE!!! I recommend going richer on purpose just to highlight the effect you're trying to avoid.

And finally, run a 5 second under load WIDE OPEN THROTTLE. I usually do it just out the front of home cause I have a slight incline. Punch it into 4th/5th gear at walking pace WOT and let the engine work. Pull the clutch and hit the kill switch at the same time. Pull the spark plug out (make sure not to try and start it or turn it over at all) and read the plug. Few different methods to doing this and thats a topic in itself. Then adjust as required up/down a size at a time and repeat process. PS. Both steps above can technically be done without a main jet at all, although it will make some difference right across the board its not enough to change too much.