View Single Post
Old 01-18-2016, 11:42 AM

Default Total loss system?

With my old lead acid battery installed which I know is toast would spin the starter after a full charge), I went for a ride this morning. I also installed my trail tech voyager so I could see the voltage while it was running. What I found was interesting.
While running the charging voltage to the battery was around 14. It jumped around between 11 and 15 at idle but smoothed out a bit at higher rpm.
Had no issues on the ride. Came back and before I put the bike in the truck I tried one more thing. With the bike running I turned on the light, low then high. The voltage dropped,from 14 to 8!
My interpretation of this is as follows.
My charging system (stator) not sure of the correct term must be faulty. Which may explain why 3 batteries failed in 6 months
Since I has running the Lithuim battery on Saturday, I believe once the voltage dropped below a certain point the battery's protection circuit kicked in and broke the circuit through the battery. Leading me to believe that the bike is not putting out enough juice to run the bike without the battery. A total loss system.
I am going to exchange the Lithuim battery. Before I re install it I will try running the bike with the key switch out of the loop.
I will then reinstall the Lithuim battery and monitor it with the voyager.
Is the a ohm reading or some other test I can perform that will prove this out?