Thread: clacking noise
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 09:07 PM

From almost 10 years of riding and wrenching these bikes, I found that the PV noise seems to get worse after a top end rebuild and PV cleaning. Why? I think because all the carbon and spooge that dampens the sound and takes up clearance is removed. Perhaps you dislodged something like this, nothing else in the mechanism was changed, correct? The mechanism is loose by design as discussed before. Why could you not remove the control rod? Its captured by the drum valves and can be removed by first removing the right side drum and bearing, thread the actuator plate bolt in the drum, grab it with pliers, and pull it out.

The GG PV is actually pretty good. At first it seems "cheesy" compared to say a KTM, but its simplicity and durability (all steel parts) are evident after owning the bike for awhile. The Japaneese bikes use aluminum parts in more complex designs with racks and pinions that wear and foul and rattle worse. KXs and KDXs are real noisy. The KTM is full of o-rings and much more of a hassle to service.

The point is I would not sweat the rattle. If your sure you did the top end right, the PV is assembled correctly, and the slop removed from the system as I have noted, all should be fine.