View Single Post
Old 09-01-2018, 05:12 PM

Default PWK38 Service kit ?10

So I purchased a Keihin PWK38 refurb/service kit for 10 Euros including p&p!

I have a 2004 EC300 with PWK38 AS1 Screw Top Carb. Had it a few years, got it jetted just nice (using genuine Keihin jets and needle) but I still had a few niggles with the carb... intermittently overflowed fuel, idle was unstable, etc.

I don't use the bike for competition, leisure use only but I ride it hard.

I spotted the PWK38 refurb/service kit on eBay from China for only 10 Euros with postage, for the money I thought I'd give it a try!

Obviously, it's not genuine Keihin, some people may call it 'fake' others may call it 'pattern' but it contained some parts that would be very useful...if they worked!

kit.jpg

So after 2 weeks it arrived and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

As well as other parts, the kit included a Main Jet, Pilot Jet, Needle and Slide. I decided I wouldn't be using these and put them to one side.

Here's a list of the parts I used from the kit...

1. Float - Original float had been bent/adjusted many times, its tang was deformed and I didn't trust it.

2. Float valve - Original float valve looked in good condition but the rubber tip had hardened and the spring action of the spring loaded pin seemed very light.

3. Choke plunger - The rubber tip had hardened and was indented.

4. Float Bowl seal and Jet Block seal - both rubber seals had hardened and flattened.

5. Air Screw - It had a ridge on its tapered tip.

6. Plastic Idle Screw - Screw head was damaged and tip worn.

I stripped and cleaned the carb, fitted the replacement parts. The float/float valve needed no adjustment. Straight out of the box they gave me a float height of 16mm with the float seam parallel to the bowl mating surface.

I've had a 3 hour ride on the bike this afternoon and all is good. The intermittent carb overflow is fixed and I can adjust the air screw/idle screw to give a stable idle.

If I was using the bike for serious competition then I'd happily spend money on genuine Keihin parts, but for what I need I'm very happy with my 10 Euros kit!

Last edited by Davehuge; 09-02-2018 at 05:23 AM.