View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 07:41 AM

Correct, all of these devices use an algorithm based on info that you input. I believe the margin for error is about +-10% no matter what your doing biking, running, skiing. I understand your premise but I don't believe Im running on adrenaline for 4+ hours. I am usually hyped up and a bit nervous at the beginning of the first two test sections, but after that i settle. Additionally adrenaline would peak my heart rate at the end of a long straight away where I'm going really fast, but i find my highest readings in the very slow technical sections. I used to question some of the reading i was getting as they were alarmingly high, but i have now used it while practicing and even bought a new digital heart rate monitor. Also i use gel on the chest strap against my skin to make sure i am getting good readings. So I don't believe it perfect, but its the best i can do right now. Im sure the algorithms for these devises are written for pure cardio such as running, I'm not sure how well that translates over to a total body muscle recruitment activity?

One more thing my resting heart rate was over 80 bpm for at least two hours into the drive home. And these numbers are very similar to the readings i get if i go hard on my mountain bicycle.

Im not sure what all this means but those are the numbers.