View Single Post
Old 07-27-2006, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Well, I opened my forks back up tonight and readjusted the oil level per Glenn's recommendation. I set it at 140 mm from the top. I hope to get out this weekend and try it out. However, it has been raining a lot here and my usual riding places turn to "swamps" when it rains.

By the way, I don't know what method you used for setting the oil height but my method works great!

Here is what I did:
  • Took a small diameter clear tube that was a couple feet in length.
  • Marked off 140 mm from one end of the tube.
  • Put a zip-tie around the clear tube at the 140 mm mark and cut the zip-tie leaving a couple inch tail.
  • Inserted the clear tube into the oil (between inner tube and cartridge) until the zip-tie sat on top of the fork tube (with it fully collapsed).
  • Put another zip-tie and lightly tied the hanging clear tube to the side of the outer tube to keep everything stable.
  • Took a large syringe and attached it to the opposite end of the clear tube and drew a vacuum sucking up oil into the clear tube.
  • Emptied my syringe a couple times and continued until no more oil would get sucked up into the tube.
  • Basically, it was like a big straw that was inserted 140 mm... thereby only allowing you to suck up fluid until the bottom of the straw got exposed.