Thread: Engine Coolant
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancp5 View Post
What is a "razor" in this context?
I think he is referring to UTV's. I think Polaris makes the Razor, like the better known Rhino or Kawasaki Mule

It is hard to determine if a 2-stroke is overheating, especially the GasGas because they tend to run pretty cool. A person can fill the radiator to the very top and never have any problem until you actually do get a little warmer than normal (notice I didn't say "hot"). At that point about the top 1" or so is going to be forced out by expansion. It is going to steam and make a mess and stink. Most people call this "overheating". But it is normal as you need that space (the term is "head space"). A overflow or recovery tank will catch it and with the correct type cap will actually pull it back into the radiator after the system cools down. My kids '04 still has the original expansion tank plumbed between the right and left radiators. As the sytem heats up the air in that tank is compressed and the expanded/overflow fluid will go in there until it cools down and then it returns to the radiator (instead of going out the overflow).
A bad cap will allow coolant to escape out the overflow also (again, making a mess, steaming, and stinking) and again, can be misdiagnosed as "overheating".

c-152, if after overflowing and the bike cools down, the coolant should be right about at the top of the fins exposed under the radiator cap. Lean the bike just a little and it should be visible. Lower than that and you are either overheating or the cap may be bad. Do a search on this forum for "cap", the KTM cap is a little higher pressure than ours and is a good upgrade to prevent this from happening.
I hope this helps.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)