Thread: Smart Carb
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2017, 05:49 PM

I've spent most of the day riding, and I'm convinced the compression is plenty low for 91 octane. Absolutely no knocking, not even a pipe knock when you get off the throttle. I don't think its worth it to me to take it apart again to check the compression ratio.

The more I play with the smart carb, the more I am unimpressed. One odd thing is sometimes it seems to change tune if I shut it down, for a minute, and start it again. There is nothing I can do about the 1/4 throttle blubber except ride harder. When riding hard, the thing runs great. As good as any Kehin carb, maybe better. I always run a rich main jet in my Kehin, I don't need the top end, and it was safer. The big difference is when just kind of putting around it really loads up bad. Worse than the Kehin. Another thing is that the clicks don't seem to do much. So many reviews say they just went one or two clicks from where it came, and it ran great. For me, I can do 5 clicks at a time without a huge change. I have gone up to 15 clicks lean and rich from what I have found to be best, and the change is not gigantic.

I think at this point the only thing is to "jet" the smart carb, which I am not willing to do. Instead, I think I'll put my Kehin back on, and live with it until I can afford the new fuel injected KTM's in a few years.