Thread: Smart Carb
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2017, 06:30 PM

I got my 38 mm Kehin back in today. Runs WAY better than with the Smartcarb. I'm running a 42 pilot, NECJ needle, and 180 main, although I think a 178 or 176 main would be better. Air screw at 1 1/2 turns out it runs clean until it gets on that rich main jet. A simple swap and it will be good to go. As the weather changes I'll have to adjust it, which sucks, but its just the way it is.

The Smartcarb would be good for motocross. Compared to the Kehin, the Smartcarb runs like mad when you are riding hard. Enduro, what gasgas was made for, no way. You can run it far too lean and it does ok, but no matter what, you will never get rid of the part throttle rich condition without modifications. The worst part is that it comes right off that rich blubber, right into an insane mid-top end. I tried for days with the smart carb, from so lean it won't start, to barely running pig rich, it just plain doesn't run good on my bike.

My bike does seem to idle better now with the head mod and the Kehin carb. It doesn't like to idle down too low, but it seems like a much stronger idle, and most importantly, it doesn't seem to want to die the minute you pull in the clutch. I'm not a great rider, middle of the pack C rider, but its hard to ride smooth with a bike that wants to die.