View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 05:31 PM

Funny, I have a post out there with the opposite problem.
I've always preferred slow technical riding, and after riding Trials for a year, found it hard to sit down in enduros. 50+ miles of standing (short course) had me plenty tired by the end.

I second (third?) practicing full lock turns at low speed. Try to keep your shoulders parallel to the bars. That will mean your hips have to rotate and your ass will be hanging off the outside of the bike. Essentially, you want to lean the bike into the turn and counter balance with your body. Pay attention to your outside knee. You'll find this easier to do if you point it away from the bike a little. As a matter of fact, being in a bow-legged stance will help with this in general. This will feel exaggerated, but is a good way to practice.

If you find that you are dabbing the inside foot, you aren't leaning out far enough. I watched a guy pretty much drag the handgrips in the dirt on a trials bike at walking speed.

I took a trials/offroad course (Moto Ventures) where one of the drills was to slalom through some cones without turning the bars. Pure steering with your feet. It's sketchy at first, but after a few passes, you start to get used to the front end drifting (what happens when you lean the bike but don't turn the bars). The purpose of the drill is to learn to steer with your feet. It's a good drill if you have the space. I often find myself reminding myself to "steer with your feet," when I feel like I'm fighting my way through something. Usually, I am just getting tired and trying to muscle the bars around.

If you have the opportunity, get on a trials bike and ride an event. Lots of fun and a good way to build skills.
2016 Africa Twin
1975 Honda CB400 F1 (X2, projects)
2019 RE 650INT
1982 KDX80
2017 KAW EX300
1982 XL500R
2015 HUSKY FE501S
1972 HON CB175