View Single Post
Old 07-09-2009, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostafish View Post
I soaked it in Maltby penetrant. Then hit it with an air hammer. I didn't even try smacking it after the lube, but with the motor mounts loosened, and one shot with the air hammer, it shot out the other side like a bullet from a gun. My white cabinet in the garage now has a bruise from it! Yikes. I guess it wasn't that stuck. The grease looks good, and even the grease on the swingarm bolt was slippery. I think the biggest deal was loosening the motor mounts.
A lesson well learned.

I have a complaint though. Why so many silly different sizes of bolts???????? Geez, 16,17,18,22mm. All on the linkage. My one complaint with Gas Gas from the very beginning is that it's not a mechanic friendly bike. Wonderful to ride, "what were you thinking" to wrench on. I suppose after owning a Husky, anything is a pain to wrench on, that bike was made with the mechanic in mind.
One advantage of having a factory trained honda master tech as your best friend -> Les at LT-Racing disassembled that bike and lubed everything for me before it was even ridden. That grease on there was from that prep. If he hadn't have done this - you might have had a little bit harder time with it...

And yes, he did the same for an '08 husky txc510 we purchased and there was much less cussing involved...

jeff
Webmaster
GasGas Riders Club