View Single Post
Old 02-26-2007, 03:02 PM

Default coil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Matt,

I never saw one of these. Does it use the stock flywheel?

Check the orientation of the trigger coil relative to the trigger magnet strip on the OD of the flywheel, with the crank at a fixed position before TDC. Compare the two stators. Stator position on the cases means nothing if the trigger coil is mounted slightly different on the stator.
It uses stock flywheel and simply bolts onto the original stator plate in place of the old six poled ignition/lighting coil. It looks very similar, just a little heavier. The ignition coil side even ohms out exactly the same as stock. Nothing about the trigger coil changes.

I marked the plate in two places, but it looks like my engine was drilled and machined to accept two types of stators and my round stator plate has a crescent shape cut out of the side, allowing the plate to shift off center if not carefully installed. Most plates on other bikes are held in a perfect center and can only be rotated left or right. I wonder if this was done to cure a machining error made in manufacture.

I'm going to assume that I either have a weak spark unless kicked fast enough, or my timing is off. It makes sense to me that if I retard the spark, starting should be easier, so I'll try that a little at a time.
- - - - - - - - - -
"Old" bikes>
06 KTM 300XCW- returned-dealer scam- 1st owner seized & returned prior to sale to me as "new"
87 Yam YZ490
81 Yam IT250
84 Honda v45 Magna
74 Suzuki TS400
76 CZ motocross 250-bought new in 81-should have kept
74 Kawasaki G5100