View Single Post
Old 01-11-2021, 07:46 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default Symtec Heated Grips

I installed the Symtec "Heat Demon" Heated Grips a couple of weeks ago. The short review is that they are great, I would recommend them!

Installation was not difficult, quality seems good, and they work well. I rode in sub-30 degree F weather (below freezing) and I had to turn the heat level to "low" - they actually got too hot on the "high" setting for portions of the ride!

I am one of those guys that turns on the steering wheel heat when driving his wife's car in the summertime - which is to say, my hands like to be warm. I had tried Klim glove liners - a good product - but my hands still got cold during winter riding here (in Oregon). I then tried some cheap $30 cold weather gloves from Cycle Gear, because I didn't want to spend a lot of money on expensive offroad gloves for an experiment. My hands stayed "medium warm", and while the gloves were actually a good product, they were too bulky for serious offroad riding.

With the Symtec Grip Heaters, I believe that most people could ride in cold weather with their regular riding gloves and be very happy. On very cold days I still use my glove liners, even with the grip heaters, because the ends of my fingers tend to get cold - even though the rest of my hands (palm, etc.) are toasty (it's hard to keep the ends of my fingers wrapped tight on the handlebars where the heat is).

Thanks to Neil E. for the tip to hook them up to AC power. They apparently don't need "clean" power (from after the rectifier). I tapped into the yellow wire coming from the stator (used a T-Tap wire connector, though I am sure that soldering is recommended), and it doesn't draw down my battery that way.

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25406

All in all, a great upgrade for me. More heat than expected.

FYI,

Jeff

IMG_3107.jpg