View Single Post
Old 04-07-2022, 08:25 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWP219 View Post
For those who used to use the Champion Racing Lubricants (old DuraLube) WP2 two stroke oil, they now have a new TPI formula. It's a semi.-syn. 20wt., red in color, flash point of 212 F', FD certified.

For those who might be interested in getting some try a search for www.championbrands.com , out of Clinton, MO .

Just FYI.......
Thanks for that information.
Back in the early '80s, I used Golden Spectro at 50/1. My Yamaha dealer raced enduros, and he recommended the GS at 50/1.
I wasn't getting very good wear out of my piston/rings/cylinder bore, so I mixed it at 40/1.
When I used the GS at 40/1, it burned so dirty that it clogged up things, including sticking piston rings.
Then, in 1985, I heard about Duralube, and tried it at 50/1. It burned much cleaner than the Golden Spectro at 50/1, and gave me much better ring wear. Trying Duralube at 40/1, I got five times the life out of my piston/rings/cylinder bore as with Spectro at 50/1. (racing enduro or hare scrambles almost every weekend on big bore Yamahas)
I started ordering the Duralube in 10 case lots and sold it out of my van at the races, and also to riders who would come by my house for it.
By 1987, I was on a Husky WR430 (water cooled 6 speed panther of a bike) I had two of them. I raced my first '87 Husky WR430 for 6 years, and raced a second '87 WR430 for 3 years; all using Duralube at 40/1.

I became a dealer for GasGas in 1997. I got a EC250 and ran the bike at 50/1 like the factory specified. Duralube got harder to get, and I started experimenting with other oils.(at 50/1) I was not happy with how fast my rings wore. (I checked them regularly.)
Gasgasman and Boomhauser came over to Arkansas and rode some mountain single track with me. Robby was raving about Amsoil Dominator. He was running it at 40/1. I decided to try it. It worked well, and I got great ring/piston/cylinder wear.
I decided to do my own test regarding 50/1 vs 40/1 premix with the Dominator. I installed a fresh piston kit in a new bore on an EC300 and went racing with the 50/1 pre-mix.
After a month, I tore down the top end. My ring end gap had worn from .008" to .012" in that 30 days. The piston still looked great.
I put a new set of rings on the piston and started another test. After 30 days of hard riding and racing, I tore it down and measured my rings' end gap. It had started at .008" and still measured .008".
(No measurable wear!)
I put the top end back together with the same rings, and tore it down for measuring after two more months. Still no wear! I ran those rings for a year of racing using Amsoil Dominator at 40/1 with non-ethanol 93 octane pump premium. After that year, I tore down the top end again. The rings now had a .012" end gap. (Wossner piston kit) The piston had some dark spots, but no streaking or wear. The bore still looked new.
I've been using Amsoil Dominator at 40/1 ever since. I got an average of 4-5 years out of a piston and over a year out of a ring set while I was still racing. I'm not racing anymore due to vision problems, but I haven't changed my dirt bike pre-mix. (It's not as clean burning as some other oils, but it's a lot cheaper to clean the powervalve and to clean and pack the exhaust than it is to replace the piston kit and have the cylinder reconditioned.)
I have a good selection of other "top end" premix oils left over in my shelves, but I use them in the chain saws and weedeaters, not my dirt bikes. (I have to do the mechanics for the family. )

Just my opinion.
Good Riding!
Jim

'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/