View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 03:19 AM

Thanks. Got a puller and removed it. The problem looks like it's just the small bolts that attach the sprag housing to the back of the flywheel. The sprag itself and all the gears appear to be in perfect condition. Not sure why this happened. The 9 little bolts were not loctited which at least allowed me to remove the remains easily. Every one of the 9 bolts had sheared off. I am considering fitting some very hard 12.9 bolts if they will fit but the ones on the flywheel have special shallow heads to ensure they clear the stator I assume. I shall try test fitting the specially toughened ones to see if they'll clear.

The question in my head is if I should loctite these bolts or not. They don't look as if they came loose. They just sheared off - I assume from backfires during starting? The odd thing is it didn't "appear" to fail during starting, I stopped and then when I pressed the starter I could hear the starter spinning freely so it's almost as if they failed during riding - I did let it bump start a couple times after stalls because I was going down hill - could that do it? Wouldn't have thought that would put any stress through the starter mechanisms.

The stator has sustained minor damage so I will need to check the output. Is it just the charging across the battery to check or are there other taps to worry about? The bike was running ok after the failure so anything needed to start it can't be too bad. This was the first time I managed to start it on the kicker. Probably because the alternative was a very tiring push up a hill! It did take leaning on a tree and a lot of kicks though.

Last edited by iancp5; 10-11-2009 at 01:24 AM.