View Single Post
Old 01-27-2015, 12:26 PM

1 - Is the e start reliable on the 14MY bikes - I rode an estart bike (don't know what year) but it would only engage 50% of the time.

I don't think it improved much in 2014. My 2013 is finicky and has the same estart setup. You have to hit the button just right, although it almost always starts. The 15 is different and I haven't heard any feedback yet, but I don't see how it could get worse.

4 - Is the fit of the rad panels fixed - my '05 has issues with the screws coming out - also how is the fit and finish generally? The e start 300 i rode had a problem with the kick stand going up outside the rear panel and I don't think that panel was staying in place properly - that seems poor but I've also seen issues on 1-2 year old KTM's with panels not fitting properly....

The '14 radiator panels are still pretty janky in my opinion. The top just pushes into a rubber grommet and the bottom screws into a plastic receiver that is practically seized from the factory. I bought an aluminum replacement from Halls for my 2013 and 2014 but have yet to install them. At the very least, anti-seize as soon as you get the bike. Make good choices on radiator guards too, because if you're radiators get bent, then the side panel problem gets even worse.

5 -On my '05 I can access the carb jets by unscrewing the carb cap and rotating the carb still in the bike - I can change a jet in 2 min, is this possible on the newer bikes?

It's a little tight in there. We've always removed the tank, but a more determined person might be able to pull it off.

Any other differences good or bad?

Never ridden a Gas Gas older than 2011, so I can't really compare too well, but I can say that the difference between 2013 and 2014 was quite big IMO. Weight, subframe all noticeably different.

Would it be worth paying 10-20% more for a 15 model year (I guess not?)

When I got the '14 200, I went without e-start. If I were getting an e-start model, I would definitely wait for the 2015 and pay a little more. I think you can upgrade the 14 to 15 starter components, but that's a pretty penny right there. Just get it right out of the box and then benefit from the other improvements as well.

All opinion, of course.