Thread: The Fleet
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2016, 09:31 AM

Nothing like jumping a 312lb dirt bike.

So last trip I cracked my left side cover. I smacked the shifter into the case. Kinda glad I just bought and installed the MSR shifter. So I bought a new case gasket and jb welded the crack both sides. We'll see how it goes. Had to do a quick fix as we are riding this weekend at Hatfield McCoy then Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving.

I also went through it and fixed my other leaks. Oring on the oil filter, oring on the oil fill cap, seal on the clutch mechanism on the case. One final leak is on the valve cover gasket but I'm out of time tonight. I'll do that later.

Been working on the front suspension. I was under the impression that the forks were pretty much identical to the 650 forks. The springs are the same, and both 38mm. However when I went to install the cartridge emulators from racetech, they don’t go down all the way. They stop about 6” from the top of the fork tube. Well turns out the 600 tubes taper to a thicker wall at the bottom triple. So the internal dimension is 29mm vs 31mm. Stronger forks than the 650. Racetech helped me out in measuring my stuff and getting me the part that would fit. The new ones are on the way. Which is good because I already drilled the holes in the dampening rods which essentially means I can’t go back.

Just in case you are reading this and don’t know what an emulator does, it basically allows you to adjust your dampening and rebound independently of each other, by putting a valve in the fork. So it’s been on my stand for a couple of weeks looking like gonzo from the muppets.

This has allowed me to do a couple things that I’ve been putting off. No excuses now because I can’t ride. I fixed some wiring issues. I wrapped the harness in places where it was rubbing in rubber tube. I also rerouted it to remove some pinch points. Finally I made a new hot lead and my ends were pretty bad.

I also took off my stator cover again and JB welded it as I whacked it on the snow ride and it was leaking again. I need to work on some skids.

1999 GG EC 250 Six Days
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2001 Aprilia Falco
2001 Triumph Speed Triple for my 20 year old
2000 GG XC250 for my 20 year old
2003 Honda Rancher 350 for the wife