View Single Post
Old 03-09-2016, 03:12 PM

Default Colorado DMV troubles

So I've been jumping through hoops left and right with the DMV. Finally hit a pretty big road block getting my bike plated. They won't accept the 16 digit GasGas VIN. They want me to take pictures, fill out 6 or 7 forms and send all this to Denver. One of these is a title history search. From there, Denver will contact the State Patrol and then I will be contacted by the State Patrol to do (another) VIN inspection and issued a new VIN. This means I will be given a placard to be welded or stuck to my frame somehow.

A few things to note: The bike is not yet titled and never was. It is insured and registered with the DOW with its current VIN.

Just looking for opinions on how full of it these guys are. Weren't tons of imported bikes in the 90's and earlier 16 digits or shorter?

Since the bike isn't titled, I'm wondering if I could go get a letter stamp, add a letter to the end of the vin, and start over with insurance and DOW registration since the VIN on these documents has to match? At this point they're essentially treating it like a home-made vehicle and the bike has never ever been titled. Or maybe I should just drive somewhere and see a different DMV.