Thread: Spark problems
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2006, 03:26 PM

Default Spark problems

Hi

I have bought an EC250 a week or 2 ago and everything was great until today.

The story is this, it was a well cared for bike owned by someone I know but he wasn't getting the use out of it so he sold it to me.

On Sunday it was the day of the first proper ride out for me, I fuelled her up and off we went. Had a cracking ride for about 3 hours with no problems.

I rode her home and gave aher a good jetwashing down, took the air filter out, cleaned it, soaked it in air filter liquid and left it to dry out.

I came to her today and put the tacky air filter back in and went for a ride into town to dodge the Christmas traffic.

I went about 3-4 miles and then heard a rattle which I thought was the chain, looked down - no problems, went a little further, heard a tinny noise, lost revs and ground to a halt.

I went home and took out the spark plug in case I'd got it wet, when I checked the gap it had welded itself solid, it must have arced or something.

I replaced the plug, kicked her over and hey presto she started, I rode around the block with no problems so I thought it was a duff plug, but no, after a little ride later to just check, I went 2 miles or so and the same thing happened it ground to a halt.

I am not the most mechanically minded of people so wondered if anyone had any suggestions as to what I've done wrong, I called the previous owner and he never had this problem before!

Please help as I don't have a clue!

Thanks

Simon