View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughside View Post
Please excuse my ignorance. What is arm pump?
Arm pump is just the muscles in your arms and hands getting cramped, burning, sore, numb, and really tight when riding. Like others have said it usually happens early and as you warm up it eases off. I think in my case its usually from the death grip because as soon as I ease off I can almost feel relief immediately as the blood leaves my arms and hands.

Lately I have really been trying to hold on more with my legs and less with my hands. I thought about taking an anti-inflammatory as some have suggested, but I worry about bleeding due to blood thinning in case of a bad crash because it allows more blood flow (this is what gives the desired effect to reduce arm pump). I am talking more head or internal injuries, not worried so much about lacerations. I may be paranoid and some may not be as bad as others, and arm pump usually happens in tough, slower sections where the risk of a high speed crash are much less.