View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 01:55 PM

Default Hanging idle... pilot? vid

2006 EC250 converted to S3 300 cylinder, stock head. No headwork.
180mj, 40pj, 7 slide, JD blue needle, as 1.5 (tho does not matter), idle screw almost all the way in.

It has been displaying the typical erratic idle, must have the slide screw all the way in etc, since it was a 250, low compression and had a DDK needle. Now with the JD kit in the bike will actually idle, eventually, after warming up, and f-ing with the idle screw. Airscrew does almost nothing.

Yesterday I read a thread on float height, so made a cork/tube tool to check the fuel level. Aha! I thought, it was 3 mm above the seam. So I bent the tang until i got it as close as I could, less than 1mm below the seam of the bowl. I though finally this would fix it and my problems chasing the idle were over. Nope... ended up back at the same settings. Same symptoms.

Almost no one at sea level is using a 40 pj, most are at 42 or 45, could I need a 38 even? Will it make that much of a difference and finally get the damn thing to idle? I just seems so unlikely that I would need a pilot that most people would be using in the mountains...

The idle hangs as well. There are no air leaks that I can tell, it has done it ever since I got the bike last year. Throttle cable is fine, and has been replaced recently. When I turn the bars it does nothing. Carb is spotless.

I am sure most will suggest headwork. That is not going to happen anytime soon. The large squish would not cause the hang though would it?

Here is a vid:
http://youtu.be/U0psd5Ezlh0

please excuse my ziptied license plate rattle...