View Single Post
Old 10-11-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Dud View Post
Bravo try standing steer with your feet , I like trials riding and that is how I ride my enduro bike . Practice ,Practice ,Practice and most important have fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by bender675 View Post
I did a Chris Birch coaching day a few months back and his technique was more of a crouch than a stand. Get your lower leg vertical and locked into the seat from there you sort of crouch down so your back is not straight up and down. Elbows nice and high. With your elbows like that you are less likely to feel like going over the bars.

The more technical it gets the more you crouch down, getting your butt closer to the seat and your head further down.

It doesn't feel right the first few times but trust me, stick with it. It will probably hurt your quads and back - as in using muscles you haven't used in a while, not doing any damage.

I was always comfortable standing but using this technique I feel much more balanced and in control.

Hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barossi73 View Post
As above-Try keeping your lower legs in tight when standing,steer with your knees,be active with moving your weight around,and set your levers level with bars even if it feels too high(keeps the weight on the outside of palms and stops your wrists rolling forward and taking the weight on your thumbs-basically makes your "triangle" wider and more solid,as does keeping your elbows high)
Practice!
With time you will get used to that "hit" youre struggling with and learn to use it to your advantage
I also attended a chris birch day(highly recommended) and interestingly he was not a fan of bar risers and pointed out that virtually none of the top riders use them.Not sure if your bike has adjustable bar mounts,but if so,move them forward one position,lengthens reach and raises slightly.Most newer bikes the bar mounts are slightly offset so if you rotate mounts you get position 2.Some also have a 2nd hole for mounts giving positions 3&4.Chris recommended the 2 middle positions for virtually allriders as the closest and farthest positions start to compromise the handling/ergos.
Of course,he asks a bit more of his bikes than most of us could hope too!
He made the point that the manufacturers spend a lot of time and effort setting ergos up so the bike works well for a wide range of riders so moving too far away from standard is likely to have a tradeoff somewhere else...
Well took the bike out for a nice 4 hour ride today! Wow, I am spent! Need to get into better shape.

With all the advise and body position suggestions, it all worked!

Squat not stand, elbows up and head down (looking forward). It felt totally different than riding around on the property. Hit some rocky sections, not river rock, but just baseball size rocks and some football size rocks. Keeping loose was a big help and letting the bike bounce under me was great. Stayed in 2nd gear and used the clutch to keep traction and stay moving.

All and all, I am very please and am now officially hooked on DIRT BIKES and trail riding. Practice Practice and more Practice!

Bike ran great, didn't bog down and stay moving as long as I keep the RPM's up when pulling over larger rocks and in ruts.