View Single Post
Old 11-07-2008, 10:07 AM

Jeff,
Thanks for the help.
I will try to find something stock from the GG SM for the front end and see how that goes. I bought the bike as a project and it appears that it indeed will be exactly that. The more I ride the GASGAS the more I think it's worth the effort. I really do like the dry sump motor and looking at the GG motor side by side with my DRZ the similarities are readily apparent. I like the stock setup on the GG for enduro use so thats not a problem. Off road it is really sweet. But for a street SM, it has it's problems. The first is the minuscule front sprocket. To compensate for that I need to get the rear sprocket down to around 35 or 36 to suite me. Because of the I.D. of the rear sprocket that is not possible. At 38t the sprocket bolts are almost touching the chain. So I might as well change the rear hub as well to something that takes a smaller I.D. sprocket. My DRZ rear might just do the job. Maybe next week I will start to see if I can get it to work. Yesterday, I put a new rear tire on my DRZ (150-60-17) as well as putting a full set on the GG. So, I did put the DRZ wheel on the GG and it is a close fit but I would need a new Nissan brake bracket for it to work. For the front wheel I might just go with a late model Husky hub it is also a 25mm hub unlike the 26mm for all the late model KTMs. It is my intention to find what will fit and than to order Talon hubs, 17" Excel wheels with a 320mm front rotor using the stock caliper.

It seems like a lot of work but even if I had a stock GG SM, I would still to do something about the rear wheel. GG recommends a 140-80-17 for the rear SM but SM tires just aren't made it that size. A true SM tire is avail as a 150-60. The diameter of a 150-60 and a 140-80 is 2".

Yesterday I put a 120-80-18 on the rear of the GG and with the current 41t on the rear, it's exactly where I want it to be. So, to get the same effect with a 150-60-17, I would have to get a 35 or 36t rear which might be possible with the DRZ hub, but not with the GG hub.

anyway, I will continue with the project and any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tony