View Single Post
Old 11-08-2008, 09:21 AM

Jeff,

Strange you would bring up the SM from Mich. It was that post that prompted me to start looking for a Ca. Plated GG months ago. In spite of your comments re. the Dry sump motor it was the dry sump that initially caught my interest with the older GG. My attraction for the dry sump motor has to do with my appreciation for the dry sump in my DRZ and other brands that have them. Seems like the high oil capacity dry sump motors are all known for their high reliability and longevity. I began testing the oil temp in my DRZ this summer after hard rides by sticking a probe down the frame tube and I noticed that the oil temp was always under 260f. That sold me on the dry sump. My initial thought for a project bike was a 07 KTM 530 EXC because all the aftermarket SM conversion stuff was readily avail. The downside to the KTM as far as I was concerned was the limited amount of oil they carried and their propensity to run hot on the street. I have quite a few bikes but none are exactly the way I want them to be for a street SM.

My GG has the motor I want and the light weight and balance factor that my DRZ will never have.

All the stuff above in my previous post has to do with my annoyance with small production companies that go their own way with proprietary sprockets and hubs and they make buying aftermarket parts an unnecessary nightmare. In looking thru the Talon catalog, I noticed that they listed the availability of 17" rear wheels and hubs for FSE but only listed 17" front wheels for the 20mm axle. Probably has to do with not having the right spokes to fit the 25mm FSE hub. Anyway, I thought if I was going to set my FSE up for SM I would do it my way. If I could go with a Husky front wheel, I would have lots of options for brakes. If I went with a Talon DRZ hub, I would also have the options to use a smaller rear sprocket and the larger DRZ rear brake and would also be able to order their DRZ cush hub.

Nothing like a winter project.

Tony