Thread: Winter tires
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR View Post
Glenn,

I came across the Motorace website the other day. They stud Cheng Shin, Michelin, and Trelleborg tires. They list the base tires that you could use as reference. I have also seen the Maxxis IT tires used. Basically, you need a larger lug pattern and intermediate compound. Soft compounds will flex too much and the studs (or screws) will tear out or crack the lugs at the base.

Here is the Motorace website:
http://www.motorace.com/miva/merchan...egory_Code=tre

A couple years ago, I bought a studded CS tire from a friend. It looks like the Motorace type. I have a 18" studded Trelleborg that I purchased through Hall's. Both have worked excellent. Kold Kutter screws are fine for several rides, but the carbide studs are the only way for best traction and longest life.

I have a 19" rear wheel on my CR125, so now I need to buy a 19" studded tire or find a used 18" wheel. A stud gun like your friend's would be great, but it is very labor intensive (drill each lug, apply glue, and insert stud). After all the material costs, $200+ tires such as Motorace's is a fair price.

FYI... I also priced out the "Best Grip" carbide stud options. Those are carbide studs that screw in. They run about $100 for a bag of 100 studs. You would need about 250-300 studs for a rear tire. So again you are at the price of a studded Trelleborg from Motorace.

Winter riding is a blast! The only downside is the initial investment in studded tires, but the carbide versions last many seasons.
Last winter I used 2 michelin ac 10 front tires and three ac 10 rears. I only participated 2 winter enduro races. So they wear when you use them... Our winter lasts from Nowember to Aprill.

Now I bought one set Trelleborgs and one set Michelin AC 10 (to start this season). Not cheap winter riding...

When it hurts you know you're allive!

Gas Gas EC 300 Factory Racing 2012
- Ohlins TTX both front and rear
- Rekluse Core EXP 2.0 + Rekluse clutch basket
- Scalvini full exhaust system
- S3 Head
- Trusty adjustable PV cover

That was ultimate setup for me...
Now trying something else for a while...