View Single Post
Old 12-12-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyrooster View Post
I broke my femur in a motorcycle vs car crash over 35 years ago. I had the pin removed 3 years after it was put in and went on to own and operate a mechanic shop for 20 years, professionally drive a race car and play and coach competitive tennis. I took a long break from riding motorcycles and it's one of the biggest regrets of my life. Everyone has to make their own choices so I'm certainly not trying to tell you what to do but if you think you might want to ride when you get better it would be wise to borrow a friends bike and take it for a spin. You will know pretty quick if it's for you. I stayed off bikes for over 25 years and I was on a friends wave runner running across a lake on a windy day and it reminded me of attacking a woop section on a dirt bike. When I got in the car to go home I told my wife I needed to buy a dirt bike asap. Hopefully you make a full recovery and are able to do what you want to do.
Well, it didn't take me 35 years ;-) however I have decided that would be best to stay off dirt bikes for a while as my leg doesn't have enough strength, either in the muscles or the bone, to cope with it. Instead I have decided to follow up on something I have been planning to do at some point in the future when the time was right - I now have an R80G/S (actually an ST frame that has been rebuilt as a G/S) that I plan to update with some more modern suspension. This will give me something that I can use for pottering about on, at a sensible speed, and possibly tackle some longer, mild adventure type rides on. I actually collected the bike a few days before my wrist surgery and am OK riding it but supporting the bike on my bad leg while getting on and off is a bit awkward so I am quite a way off being ready to ride a tall bike off road.

On the progress front, I am still waiting for the official word from the surgeons on the x-rays I had at the beginning of the week. The radiographer however thought the scaphoid was looking OK and, while the fracture lines are still visible on the femur, there are no longer any gaps between the various fragments. I won't claim to be walking normally yet - as a friend put it recently' "you've only got a limp now." My walking is improving, but with my left leg an inch shorter (corrected by a shoe insert) it will probably never get totally back to normal.