View Single Post
Old 05-17-2023, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
that being said, nobody managed to work out why the 2010's had sealed crank bearings
LOL, so true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobi06 View Post
Btw, how do I know if the crank needs balancing? I know if you dont do it when it needs to, your engine is going to have a massive fail
Most two stroke dirt bike cranks don't need to balanced beyond what the factory did. Most aftermarket rods and pistons are designed to be within the parameters of the stock balance the factory designed in to it. So, not absolutely necessary. However, getting a custom balance when having your crank rebuilt should make the engine run smoother which of course will make all bearings live longer (how much is debatable) and you will get less vibration through the handlebars.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. I've had numerous cranks done with aftermarket rods and pistons and never have had one balanced nor have I regretted not doing it. Truing the crank is the critical thing. Maybe one day when I have the extra cash and I'm doing one I'll try it just to see if it's actually worth it (ie; how much of a difference it makes)
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220