View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 03:47 PM

I don't have any pictures but its a pretty easy process once you know what to do and look for

-disconnect battery and disconnect power supply to starter, pull starter
-Remove stator cover
- look in through the back of the stator cover, there is a bigger fine tooth gear and a smaller gear with not as fine teeth. you can only see about half of that fine tooth gear. you should be able to turn the fine tooth gear easily with your finger. If it does turn effortlessly, the problem is not your bendix. It might be the starter or some other issue. If it is hard to turn the fine tooth gear...
-flip the cover back over and remove the small bendix cover
- from here you can pull the bendix assembly straight out. pull it out.
- with the bendix pulled out fit the bendix cover onto it, there is an indent in the cover where the bendix shaft sits.
- You will probably find that it is a very tight fit for the shaft to go into its place in the cover, it should not be like this, you need to make the hole a little bigger
- don't use sandpaper or anyting like that, you don't want to take too much material off. I used toothpaste and a dremel with a polishing wheel.
-When I was able to fit the bendix cover to the shaft with no resistance I cleaned out all of the old grease and a tiny bit of new grease in there, put the bendix back in and put the cover on.
-with the bendix back in place and the cover on, put the starter back in the assembly but leave everything off of the bike. Hook the starter leads back up and connect the battery. give it a few starts to get everything moving smoothly.
-put the stator cover back on and hook everything back up to normal and try it out.

when I removed the covers both of the gaskets fell apart so you will need to have new gaskets. you could use some high temp silicone if you really wanted to but a gasket will be much cleaner. I got them for 5$ from gasgaspartshouse.com