Thread: Oil injection
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2006, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancp5 View Post
I agree with F5 on both counts.
Oil injection is an unecessary complication. What next a battery and starter motor? Pretty soon you'll want valves timed off the crankshaft.
I wouldn't call oil injection overly complicated, in most cases it runs off the crank via a little nylon gear and needs a short cable attached to the throttle. I would bet there is just as much risk of you mixing your fuel/oil wrong as there is in a failure of the system. I put about 50,000kms on oil injected bikes in the 70's & 80's, including road racing them, and rarely heard of them breaking down. There are still lots of 90's DT200's running around today with electric powervalves and oil injection.
It makes me think that KTM is getting the jumpstart on the EFI and being street legal idea now, with the new 300EXC coming with estart and a battery. EFI is just around the corner.
There are still lots of 1990's DT200's running around today with electric powervalves and oil injection. I know some with more than 30,000km's on them.

re: The oil isn’t the problem, the problem is when a 2 stroke isn’t in the tuned frequency of the pipe there is an awful lot of fuel getting short cct out of the engine & that unburnt fuel is what causes the tragic emissions.

True, the more radical the pipe is, the more this is a concern, but idling around with premix at 32-50:1, when it really only needs 100:1 or less is just adding to the stinky spooging situation. I think the old Yamaha system metered 100:1 at idle and 32 or 16:1 at full throttle. I think the Bombardier (Rotax) engine shut the oil completely off at idle some times.