Thread: GasGas FB group
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
I don't understand your statements that the search capabilities here is somehow inferior to that on facebook. Can you please elaborate?

The advanced search on this forum allows you to search based on dates, sub-forum, user, tags, number of replies, and whether to search titles or within posts for the search string.

All I see in the facebook groups I am in is a simple "search box". What am I missing here?

jeff
I agree 100%.

Here, I can search the for-sale forums for "Rekluse" to see what the recent going prices have been for the Rekluse I was looking to sell a few months back.

Or, I can search "jetting" posts by user "Jakobi" if I want to see any of the zillion combinations he's tried over the years.

Or for a more general search, I can search "45mm site:www.gasgasrider.org" on Google for any posts that might be relevant to the Marzocchi fork seals on my bike.

It's not as much a problem on this site, but on sites with lots of different content (say, Thumpertalk), I can search the GasGas subforums for relevant information.

Facebook can't, nor ever will without significant changes, be able to rival that.

The other problem with Facebook compared to online forums, which I think is actually a bigger problem than search abilities, is that the overwhelming majority of Facebook users are on their phone, instead of a computer. Which means they can't usually form thoughts longer than a sentence at a time.