Elevation (feet) = 1100f, or 350m.

Main jet = 172

Pilot jet = 42

Leak jet = 85

Needle & notch = NEDW #2

Air screw setting = 1.5 turns out

Throttle valve/slide = 7 non-notched

Results:

Great idle with awesome torquey power, can lug around a gear high without a problem, rolls on smoothly into a very strong mid and top end. Wheelie machine in 2nd 3rd and 4th rolling on and will easily bounce up in 5th.

I covered 240k's in 2 days with this jetting, 50% twin trail, 50% single trail. Some of the biggest longest hills I have ever seen, they never seemed to end and they were slippery so I was forced to labour the motor in 3rd gear to get traction up them. When we were on a flat section it got treated like a race track and the engine was screaming like a banshee. The motor got worked hard this weekend

This jetting is bloody brilliant, it is so torquey off the bottom, then comes alive with a nice linear hit of power all the way to the end. There is still the slightest hint of a burble at 1/8 throttle but it seems to go away under load. By the end of the second day my filter must have been getting pretty dirty as the idle dropped low and the bike started stalling on slow downhill descents and the burble got worse. The fact I could notice that tells me this jetting is pretty darn close.

Fuel economy was good - 240k's - 19l used = 8l per 100k's.

Quick check of the porcelain on the spark plug and its a lovely caramel colour.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Engine: Modified head running 1.2mm squish, 1 x .3mm base gasket. CR unknown but higher then stock.

Temperature (degC) = 10 - 18 degC,

70% humidity

Elevation (feet) = 1100f, or 350m.

Main jet = 172

Pilot jet = 42

Leak jet = 85

Needle & notch = NEDW #2

Air screw setting = 1.5 turns out

Results:

Has awesome torquey power, can lug around a gear high without a problem. It's rich off the bottom and this cause a very low idle/stalling down hills along with a super annoying burble at anything below 1/8 throttle. As soon as the needle was on the taper the jetting was spot on. Super responsive and crisp with that super smooth power delivery the Suzuki needles are known for.

I was slightly concerned that by lowering the jug (went from stock .5mm base basket to .3mm) I'd lose some top end. If I did I can't tell. If anything the mid range and top end is better and stronger then ever. The bottom is also very strong, just blubbery at the moment.

Interesting is that I didn't change a single thing for this new head, the jetting is identical to what I used on the previous ride with stock head and stock port timing. On that ride which was similar temps/elevation/humidity the bottom end was close to perfect and the mid and top were spot on too. Now whilst the mid and top are still spot on (and possibly stronger) the bottom is a blubbery mess. Could this be due to the modified head burning the fuel more efficiently so it now needs less in there? Dunno next ride I'll play with the air screw and maybe even drop the pilot size down one to see.

Fuel economy was ok - 7.7l used for 74k's = just over 10l / 100ks. Pre modified head with this jetting I was getting 8l/100ks.

Edit: Swapped the NEDW#2 for NECJ#3, left the pilot and main jet the same. AS is right on 1.5 where it seems to have the best off idle response. 1.75 turns is a nicer idle and not quite as blubbery but cracking the throttle from idle results in a lean hesitation and the idle hangs for a slight amount of time just before settling again. Again once on the needle taper and main jet fuelling felt perfect. Below 1/4 though and its still a blubbering mess, its better then it was with the W dia but still needs leaning off a tad. I'll try an NEDJ#2 to see if things improve but the rich burble seems to be present all the way from 0 to just before 1/4 throttle so I doubt a half clip leaner will do too much.

Fuel use = 4.7l for 45ks = 10l / 100ks.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Engine: Modified head running 1.2mm squish, 1 x .3mm base gasket. CR unknown but higher then stock.

Temperature (degC) = 2 - 4 degC / 37 deg F

80% humidity

Elevation (feet) = 3500f, or 1100m.

Main jet = 172

Pilot jet = 42

Leak jet = 85

Needle & notch = NECJ #2

Air screw setting = 1 and 5/8 turns out

Results:

The pilot/diameter is correct. 1/4 turn on the air screw either way makes a noticeable difference. Where the AS is set is perfect, it has a good idle and good off idle response.

Off idle it is a tad rich and will burble away until it starts coming onto the taper. Having said that its not too bad and adds torque which allows the bike to lug up hills. The one downside to this is it makes the off idle response a bit doughy and isn't as snappy as I'd like.

Transitioning onto the taper it gets a tad buzzy (sounds like an angry swarm of bees are loose inside the expansion chamber) but I don't think its a lean symptom, more the power valve starting to open and the exhaust getting louder. From here on in its all smiles. Crack the throttle from this position in 2,3,4 gears and the front wheel will loft, no clutch required. The power continues to build smoothly but powerfully all the way to the upper end of the revs.

The ride today was 65ks of good terrain, 40k's of it was single track, 50/50 tight/flowy. There were also some techy trails like sections and hill climbs.

Fuel use = 5.6l for 65ks = 8.6l / 100ks.

Edit: I went for a ride at sea level altitudes (300m) and normal temps (10 degC) and the transition onto the taper was pretty snappy and not at all smooth like the NExx needles are known for. This is due to it being rich off the bottom and then leaning out to a nice mixture as it comes on to the taper. Fuel consumption was also up, I used about 4l for 38ks = 10.5l / 100ks.

I changed the jetting back to what it was pre-head mod and dropped a pilot, so 40p, NEDW#2, 172m, as1.5 to. Today I went for a ride to a local area 300m asl, 55% humidity, 13 degC and did 38k's most of which was a nice little test loop about 5k long. Most of the riding was tight 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear single with a small amount of faster twin trail.
Again even though it is spot on on the idle and off idle response as soon as the throttle starts opening its rich right up until it comes onto the taper at which point its perfect. The transition from rich to lean was present again and whilst not as noticeable as the NECJ#2 was its enough to indicate I have a lot of room for improvement in cleaning up the bottom.
Fuel use was 4.3l / 38ks = 11.2l / 100ks.

Previous:
2011 Gas Gas EC300 ELC
2004 KTM 300 EXC