Thread: new 2012 models
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Banned

I'm not so sure that DI and EFI are the all they're cracked up to be for off road use. We use that stuff in a really unclean enviroment. The DI/EFI system in other vehicles very seldom gets put into mud and dust like off road motorcycles.

When I worked for Husaberg we had a lot of trouble with the EFI system. The bikes had a wierd cough/stall issue that wasn't fixed when I left. Mike Lafferty had a problem with his bike at the TX National Enduro that cost him the win. They told people that it was the fuel pump but Mike told me that they never did really figure out what happened. He quit racing that bike and only uses it for practice. Once carbs are jetted, there isn't much that can go wrong during a race. EFI can simply quit working with no warning. There were also lots of issues with tuning. A rider couldn't do it himself. He had to take it to a dealer and plug it into a computer program that was difficult to use.

One other wierd issue is that some of the bikes with EFI don't get scored at the National Enduros. The EFI interferes with the transponders. The NEPG is testing a new transponder that is supposed to fix this.

Clay