Thread: Idaho City 100
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2014, 01:44 AM
Administrator

Suggest you run michelin s-12 rear tire and m-12 front. If it rains - it can get really slick.

It is a reliability enduro, so format is different from an all out 100 mile race or a "timekeeper enduro". Rough highlights of this event are :

1. There are 5 to 6 checkpoints and you have to keep up the speed average set out for the course; You have a specified time that you can pull your bike out of impound in the morning and a specified time that you get to start your bike and proceed onto the course. There are specified times that you need to go through each checkpoint on the course.

2. There will be a number of "special tests" on the course and will be marked - you get in line and go off one at time and you race against the clock - they count down 3-2-1 and you go as fast as you can until the it ends. The distance of these vary - some are terrain tests that cover a long distance and others they have an MX style "grass track" laid out where you do one loop around - this is where spectators typically come watch the event.

3. At the checkpoints you can arrive early without penalty, but do not proceed through the checkpoint until your appointed time. While you wait for your time - You can straighten out your bike - drink some water - fuel up if it's a fuel stop, etc. And chat with your friends for a minute (if you have time).

For me - the goal was to keep a good, fast and steady pace and ride *really* smooth to conserve energy for the special tests that get thrown your way...

You don't need much in the way of "timekeeping equipment" - A large display wristwatch looped around the bars, etc. and I would stick a piece of duct tape on my bars with the time and mileage written on it for each checkpoint - I would also have another copy of this on top of my tank. Bring a long an inedible "sharpee" for this task...

I would write down the mid-points as well - e.g. at halfway between the checks I should be at this mileage and this time. This halfway point is kind of a crapshoot though - they can run you through a bunch of tight single track for 8 miles at the beginning and pop you out onto a logging road at high speed at the end - so it's not always a good guide. But it might give you and idea of how late you are if you get hung up at the 1/4 way point and need to make up some time.

jeff