Thread: GasGas FB group
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
I don't understand your statements that the search capabilities here is somehow inferior to that on facebook. Can you please elaborate?

The advanced search on this forum allows you to search based on dates, sub-forum, user, tags, number of replies, and whether to search titles or within posts for the search string.

All I see in the facebook groups I am in is a simple "search box". What am I missing here?

jeff
FB is the devil. Period.

But it's pretty much killed all but the best of forums in their specific field. Please don't consider this a personal attack. I was here before I found the gasgas enduro riders group, and I'm still here after it's been and gone. I actually prefer forums because I'm old and crotchety that way.

Using the FB "simple search field" while in a group I can type in the exact same info in one line and yield the same specific type results, including photo thumbnails, dates, poster, replies etc that you're achieving on the advanced search here after opening 2 different windows and selecting a handful of options. . . how many times to get the right hit.

On this site the 2 different examples I just tested I'm still getting several off topic hits on just the first page or results. That's after taking the time to go through the advanced search options once. I would have to go through them multiple times to narrow down more.

That's just my opinion, but I would venture a guess that a huge portion of online users share it or there wouldn't be so many google hits for articles on how FB is killing online forums.

And as for the mention above about using Google to search for a specific thread on GG rider.org
Well, I think that kind of proves a point on the search features for XYZ forum if you go that route instead of opening different windows and checking half a dozen fields in an advanced search feature.

Either way, I'm here for the learning. Should we change the subject to the current rumors of the brand being sold off again?

JK I don't want to think about that now because I'm married to this thing for the next couple seasons at least. Ride Red