View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 01:01 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS109 View Post
Curious how the lighter pfp springs will affect fork performance. What are you trying to achieve with them?
I am trying to build a fork that is soft/plush enough for my use, meaning that I use the whole travel in the typical terrain (rocks, roots, slow speed) that I ride. I would like the fork to do this when I have it in the middle of the adjusting range (10-15 clicks compression). When achieving this, I will be able to actually use the adjusting range of the compression clickers and pfp. When I started out, I used the pfp at minimum preload, as well as the compression clickers all backed out. The forks were still too stiff for my use.

I am quite pleased with my latest setup. I have polished the springs and the lower fork legs, rebuilt with SKF seals and Intec bushings, softened the compression stack and installed 1.0kg/mm PFP springs. I presume my compression stack would be too soft for most people, but I am a old and slow racer If I get faster, I can just put back a compression shim or two.

I ran 15 clicks compression and PFP all the way out in this weekend's race. When finished, I verified that I had used all the fork travel, without noticing any hard bottoming during the race. When riding, I felt the forks were plusher than before, and responded well to all the rokcs and roots (at my pace). In other words, I am close to where I planned to be.

Tomorrow I'm off to a MX club race, the setup there will be PFP 3-4 turns in, 5 clicks compression (or there about).

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc