View Single Post
Old 12-13-2007, 08:06 AM

It would be best to have photos to document a successfull conversion. You would not want to disconnect the ground for the CDI power winding. I have a 2K-3 in a box at home. If I have time I'll snap a few photos. I have no need/desire to do this mod myself though.

The white and yellow wires from the stator are two separate AC windings with a common ground. The stock bike just uses one (yellow), the other(white) is disconnected. If you float the ground in the stator for DC you cannot connect it back to the DC ground. I have not done this mod but what I think is done is that the ground referance is removed from the stator plate. Each winding is referanced together, and the yellow and white wires are now connected to the AC input of the Trailtech rectifier regulator. Again, I have not done this but it seems simple if you have any experience with power supplies. If you wanted AC as well as DC, you could tap off the AC output of the stator, but the load must float with respect to the frame or DC ground. Total power must also be taken into consideration.

This is exactly what I'm talking about: http://trailtech.net/media/electrica...conversion.pdf

I have used the AC regulator you mention. Its a simple zener diode clipping device. The black wire is ground, yellow is hot (AC) the just gets connected to the AC from the stator. The alloy case has a hole for mounting, but do not depend on it for a good ground. I used it on my '00 after the stocker went up in smoke and mounted it on the upper triple clamp.