View Single Post
Old 12-15-2023, 10:40 AM

Default Carb dumps gas into the crankcase

Hey everyone,

I had a recent rebuild of my newly acquired ec300r 2014 that have been sitting for a couple of years. My right crankcase oil seal was leaking so I changed that and sanded grounds that were rusted to get a spark. I ve also checked that rings, piston and bore are all within specs and cleaned the power valve which were heavily carbonized.

Anyway I ve got the bike back together and now it starts but runs rich and does not idle. It only idles with the throttle slightly open. I run it without an air box just to test in my garage so is it a possible cause?

Also after each short test I open a crankcase drain plug to drain about an ounce of gas out. So it appears that carb is dumping fuel into the crankcase. I ve also noticed that choke does not seem to have any effect on how bike idles , meaning that I can kick bike into life on a second kick without touching the choke and keep it alive just by holding throttle 1/10th of the way open. If I pull choke in it does not seem change bikes rpm.

I tried cleaning the carb and adjusting the float level slightly. Since this was not a problem before, I just don't want to reset old float setting to not mess it up further.

Anyways looking forward for any advise on the matter. Meanwhile I ll take carb off and see how float needle moves. I haven't noticed any obstruction last time but will buff it a bit with something soft just in case I ve missed something. Also will look into how choke sits and if it maybe stuck or something.