Thread: EC Skid Plate
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 05:30 AM

rossrc,

Yes, I use the Moose open cell skidplate foam. It has great heat resistant properties, and will not melt or burn, but will take a set of the compressed shape in the heated area which is OK. I have a large piece that packs the front area between the pipe and the header, goes between the frame rails under the engine slightly and compresses right against the header spigot. Smaller cube piece over the header and under the frame downtube, and a piece on each side between the Hyde and the motor. I'll try and take a pic, but one block of Moose foam works and you can fit it in other ways than mine I'm sure. Also, cut some rubber hose sections to line the frame rails for extra protection, I have ZERO frame dings and I'm a major rock crawler.

Mud and trash still gets between the guard and the pipe, but its nuch better than with no foam. In a way I hate the Hyde but I can't argue with the effectiveness of the pipe protection. There is no other equivalent option in alloy. When I finally take my bike down to the frame I'll weld mounts to the frame and then R&R will be a non issue.