View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 04:12 AM

By boring I mean it just seems to sign off and die up the top of the rev range. And not right at the top either, from about 3/4 onwards. Even when I had it jetted at its best prior to the head mod (38p, JD Blue #2, 168m) the top end was better but still obviously weak compared to the awesome pull off the bottom and through the mid.

Put it this way, 4th gear wheelies whilst high in the rev range required a fair bit of clutch and even then lacked the power to lift the front anywhere near balance point. Even if I had the front wheel up there once it got towards the top of the rev range it lacked the power to keep it up.

The first ride I had with the modded head (38p, JD Blue #3, 172m) the power was noticeably stronger everywhere and the top end was improved but still 'boring'.

I'm comparing this to my old KTM300 and 2 mates KTM300's. My bottom end and even mid craps all over the pumpkins, but the difference in top end is silly.

Then when I rode the '11 Gasser six days the other day it was really obvious what I was missing out on in terms of top end. That thing was awesome.

So I figure it is definately the carb to some degree, but could the JD Blue needle also be responsible for this 'boring' sensation up the top?

One way to find out I guess, jet the JD needle, then re-jet using a Suzi needle. Then throw in the oval bored carb and start again