View Single Post
Old 02-24-2018, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman View Post
It also depends on the oil. I work hard to jet these bike correctly but as they are carbureted and they are run at a variety of loads, temperatures humidities and altitudes, I am sure they are slightly rich at some times and lean in others. Oils with higher flash point temperatures require a higher temperature to burn and tend to spooge more when you are not riding hard. When we run the Techniplate with the lower flash point the spooge is minimal to nonexistent. Under the same light riding conditions with the R50 we get spooge.
Let the aussie speak!!

I agree with what he said..

In a perfect world you'd have just enough oil to leave an optimum quantity on the cylinder walls to lubricate, have enough circulating the bottom end to keep the mains and big end happy, and just enough that what leaves through the exhaust port is burnt off before it gets to the silencer.

Unfortunately the world isn't perfect and as above there are a metric shitload of variables (technical quantity) acting on the process as a whole. A carb can only do so much..

Too much oil won't hurt anything (within reason).. too little can (and has/will) given other variables aligning. But... not all oils are the same, not all riders treat the bikes the same, not all jetting is the same, and so it goes. If what you use suits your application then so be it! Why waste money on more oil just because? Probably also depends on where you live and the cost of oil..

Here in Australia it's close to $30/L for a quality synthetic... Why would you use more than you need?